Tuesday 24 February 2015

Madhur Jaffrey's Gujarati carrot salad



Long before I had any idea where Gujarat was - or that it was even a place - this carrot salad from Madhur Jaffrey was a regular in our household. My dad made it to accompany any curry but especially, if I remember correctly, to accompany dal with rice and yoghurt. It was a favourite of mine then, I could eat buckets of the stuff, and it is so simple to put together that I can't think why I have only started making it again recently.

Cheap, nutritious, pretty to look at and delicious to eat, this is a great accompaniment to make a weeknight bowl of dal feel a bit more special. In the picture above, I made it with rainbow-coloured carrots from my organic veg box, which made it even prettier.

Gujarati carrot salad
From Madhur Jaffrey, although I don't know which book as this is from the memory of my dad making it!

  • About 4 carrots, peeled and grated on the coarse side of a box grater
  • 1 tbsp black mustard seeds (I regret to say it is definitely not the same with yellow mustard seeds, so do seek out black ones)
  • 1tbsp cooking oil 
  • Juice of half a lemon
This really couldn't be easier - pop your grated carrots in a nice bowl, heat the oil in a little saucepan, add the mustard seeds and, when they start to pop and crackle, take it off the heat (before they burn). 

Pour the oil and mustard seeds into the bowl with the carrot, squeeze over the lemon juice, and toss to distribute the dressings evenly. I don't usually add salt, as the lemon juice should give it plenty of tang, but you could add a pinch if you like. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment